Emergency shelters are continuing to open throughout Wednesday across the Palmetto S.C. Region of the American Red Cross’s service area in anticipation of Hurricane Michael, including one in …
This item is available in full to subscribers
Click here to log in
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
If you aren't yet a subscriber,
click here to start a new subscription.
You also have the option of purchasing 24 hours of website access, for just 99 cents. *
Click here to continue.
* Full access is available from time of purchase through 11:59pm the following day
Emergency shelters are continuing to open throughout Wednesday across the Palmetto S.C. Region of the American Red Cross’s service area in anticipation of Hurricane Michael, including one in Sumter and one in Bishopville.
Forecasts have been showing Michael to weaken to a tropical storm by the time it passes near or over Sumter, with the main threat being wind instead of rain. Those who live in low-lying areas prone to flooding or who live in a mobile home and anyone who would feel safer in a shelter may go to one of the following listed facilities operated by the Red Cross.
Shelters available in Sumter County
• Sumter County Recreation Center, 155 Haynsworth St, Sumter – Opening at 7 p.m. Wednesday
Shelters available in Lee County
• Lee Central High School, 1800 Wisacky Hwy, Bishopville – Opening at 6 p.m. Wednesday
Cots will be available at these shelters, but people are urged to bring important medications, pillows, additional blankets, hygiene items and other items for children or anyone with special needs, according to Cuthbert Langley, spokesman for the Red Cross’s Palmetto S.C. Region.
Here is the list of the other current planned openings, as of 4 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 10:
• First Baptist Church of Barnwell (Activity Center), 161 Allen St., Barnwell – Opened at 2 p.m.
• Council Chambers, 225 Jeter St., Edgefield, SC 29824
• Fairfield Magnet School, 1647 Hwy. 321 Bypass North, Winnsboro, SC 29180
• James Frazier Community Center, 1370 Bucksport Road, Bucksport, SC 29527
• Lake Marion High School, 3656 Tee Vee Road, Santee, SC 29142 ***PET FRIENDLY
• Charleston County Coastal Pre-Release Center, 3765 Leeds Ave., North Charleston, SC 29405 ***PET FRIENDLY
• Orangeburg City Gym, 1420 Broughton St., Orangeburg, SC 29115
• Williamsburg County Recovery Center, 2084 Thurgood Marshall Hwy., Kingstree, SC 29556
• Progressive Church of Denmark, 282 Progressive Hwy., Denmark, SC 29042
• Kilbourne Park Baptist Church, 4205 Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205
• St. Paul United Methodist Church, 102 E. Butler Ave., Saluda SC 29138
• James Brandt Building, 398 Barnwell Highway, Allendale, SC 29810
*List compiled from the South Carolina Emergency Management Division
More Articles to Read