On May 11, Sumter's firefighters and emergency medical services personnel were honored for their services during the 2017 Sumter County Awards Banquet at Sumter County Civic Center.
Sumter County Emergency Medical Services and Sumter Fire …
This item is available in full to subscribers
Click here to log in
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
If you aren't yet a subscriber,
click here to start a new subscription.
You also have the option of purchasing 24 hours of website access, for just 99 cents. *
Click here to continue.
* Full access is available from time of purchase through 11:59pm the following day
Sumter County Emergency Medical Services and Sumter Fire Department personnel shared a barbecue dinner and a bevy of awards as Sumter County Council showed appreciation for the men and women who save and protect lives within the community every day.
Sumter Fire Department raised $24,627.52 for Easterseals South Carolina, an organization that provides services to children with disabilities throughout the state.
State Fire Marshal Jonathon Jones spoke to the audience about leadership and heroism and after dinner Sumter County Administrator Gary Mixon thanked the first responders - and their families - for their hard work and selfless devotion in serving Sumter County.
Sumter County Council Chairman James T. McCain Jr. offered the support of county council to the emergency agencies. Council members Vivian Fleming-McGhaney, Jimmy Byrd, Artie Baker, Chris Sumpter and Charles Edens, as well as County Attorney Johnathan Bryan and Clerk to Council Mary Blanding attended the banquet in support of local first responders.
McCain presented the following first responders with awards:
- Hunter Cockerill, 2016 Explorer of the Year;
- Gavin Foxworth, 2016 Career Center Student;
- Brianna Timmons, Career Center Most Improved Firefighter of the Year;
- Peter Greig, Sumter County Firefighter of the Year;
- Jeremy Brown, Sumter County Officer of the Year;
- Renee King, EMT of the Year;
- Dewey Pack, Advanced EMT of the Year; and
- David Pendarvis, Paramedic of the Year.
Also recognized were 2016 Station Firefighters of the Year:
- Robert Galiano, Cherryvale Station;
- Josh Kirby, Pinewood Station;
- Heath Griffin, Graham Station;
- Henry Gamble, Pleasant Grove Station;
- Selena Smith, Mayesville Station;
- Thomas Palka, Dalzell Station;
- Wendell Patterson, Wedgefield Station;
- Johnny Barwick, Rembert Station;
- Trey Griffin, Concord Station;
- Peter Greig, Horatio Station;
- Cody Dyson, Dubose Station;
- Shane Russell, Bethel Station;
- T.J. Mullen, Oswego Station;
- Michael Burchfield, Beech Creek Station;
- Clemus Matt Floyd, Byrds Station; and
- Jason Sutton, Dabbs Station.
2016 Station Officers of the Year included:
- Jeremy Brown, Cherryvale Station;
- Byron James, Pinewood Station;
- Troy Lamontagne, Graham Station;
- Cameron Phillips, Pleasant Grove Station;
- Xander Compton, Mayesville Station;
- Shelly Baker, Dalzell Station;
- Sean Sutton, Wedgefield Station;
- Simon Grant, Rembert Station;
- Dwight Mixon, Concord Station;
- John Cavey, Horatio Station;
- John Jolly, Dubose Station;
- Joey Geddings, Bethel Station;
- Bassett Ali, Oswego Station;
- Aaron Bunyea, Beech Creek Station;
- Don Goldman, Byrds Station; and
- Robert Watts, Dabbs Station.
More Articles to Read