A house in southern Sumter County was destroyed in a fire this week, displacing one person.
A double-wide mobile home was 100 percent involved when the Sumter Fire Department arrived to the residence in the 200 block of Pioneer Drive, which is …
This item is available in full to subscribers
Click here to log in
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
If you aren't yet a subscriber,
click here to start a new subscription.
You also have the option of purchasing 24 hours of website access, for just 99 cents. *
Click here to continue.
* Full access is available from time of purchase through 11:59pm the following day
A double-wide mobile home was 100 percent involved when the Sumter Fire Department arrived to the residence in the 200 block of Pioneer Drive, which is just off U.S. 15 South, just before 2:15 a.m. on Feb. 6, according to an incident report.
Seven firefighters combated the blaze, which is thought to have started around the fireplace before spreading throughout the home.
Firefighters reported $60,000 in loss to the structure and $30,000 in loss to the resident's belongings. Nothing was saved.
The American Red Cross responded to the scene and is helping the person with food, clothing, lodging and other essentials such as comfort kits with personal hygiene items.
"In the middle of winter, nothing feels better than a warm place to rest your feet. Unfortunately, many supplemental heating appliances can be dangerous if not used correctly," the Red Cross said. "Space heaters must be kept at least three feet away from anything that may burn and placed on a hard level, non-flammable surface."
Though a heating appliance did not appear to be the cause of this fire, the Red Cross has been reminding residents all winter to keep kids and pets away from heating sources, to make sure power cords are in good condition, to never use a stove top or oven as an alternative heat source and to have a working fire and carbon monoxide alarm.
More Articles to Read